Request Special Permission (SP) Numbers for Summer 2024
We are very much aware that some (eventually many) of our classes are full (and the stress that this situation creates for students). We are doing our best to get as many students in as possible. INSTRUCTORS ARE NO LONGER PROCESSING SPNs. Please do NOT email instructors or staff. Please follow the procedure below to request SP numbers for full classes:
- Please DO NOT register for a Special Permission Number before a class fills up. The numbers are not given by first come first serve. They are given by round.
- Do NOT register for sections that do NOT officially appear on WebReg. We will deregister you if you do. And you will lose consideration for SP numbers.
- For Summer 2024 Starting Monday, February 12th 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Summer 2024: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs MAKE SURE YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR SUMMER, NOT FALL.
- For Fall 2024 Starting Monday, April 8th 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Fall 2024: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs MAKE SURE YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR FALL, NOT SUMMER.
- Watch for announcements below. Announcements will typically appear on Monday, with the new capacity being added that day or as directed by the announcement. Thus, you should only need to check this Web site on Mondays.
- We are implementing a new procedure. Instructors will no longer be handling SPNs in the last round. They will all come from the Computer Science department.
- A Special Permission Number will not get you into a course you do not have a prerequisite for. For undergraduate prerequisite overides, Please follow the format on the CS advising page for prereqs https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/academics/undergraduate/advising. In some instances, you may be directed to contact the instructor.
- All SPN numbers will not be distributed on the same day. If your friend gets one for a different class please do not email asking why you did not receive yours.
- SPNs will not be given for 01:198:170. The classes are filled to lab room capacity.
- SPNs for 01:198:213 will not be given for the first round. The sections are filled to capacity. We will open it up for SPNs in the second round for seniors that need it, but know there is very little space left. Plan a back up course.
- If you have questions regarding the submission of your SPN please send all inquiries to .
Requirements for Undergraduates to Register for CS Graduate Courses
- A special permission number to register for a CS graduate class is given to an undergraduate student only when they satisfy the following requirements.
- The student should be a CS major. If a CS minor wants to register for a graduate class, they should have completed the CS minor requirements.
- The student's CS GPA should be equal to or greater than 3.5
- The student should have completed the CORE requirements of the CS major.
- The student should have completed at least 2 CS electives.
- The student will not be allowed to register for more than two graduate courses per term.
- An undergraduate student will be allowed to register only for courses that satisfy the breadth requirement for the PhD program.
- For undergraduates taking graduate courses, you will request an SPN through the SPN system, fill out and contact the instructor to request signature on the Undergraduate taking Graduate Course form. The instructors will not be responding until after registration has begun.
The Summer 2024 SPN system schedule
Begins: Monday ,February 12, 2024, 12:00pm
Ends: Monday May 24, 2024, 10:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place prior to May 28, 2024
The Fall 2024 SPN system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday April 8, 2024, 10:00am
Ends: Monday May 6, 2024, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around June 7, 2024
Round 2: Begins Monday, May 6, 2024, 10:00am
Ends: approximately Monday August 5, 2024, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around August 19, 2024
SPN distribution is open ended and will take place until approximately September 2, 2024. It will coincide with the first day of classes**
SPNs will be distributed prior to the first day of classes and will not be distributed through add/drop.
IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE ONE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK, ASSUME YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ONE AND REGISTER FOR YOUR BACKUP COURSE.
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration