Request Special Permission (SP) Numbers for Fall 2022
We are very much aware that some (eventually many) of our classes are full (and the stress that this situation creates for students). We are doing our best to get as many students in as possible. Please do NOT email instructors. Please follow the procedure below to request SP numbers for full classes:
- Please DO NOT register for a Special Permission Number before a class fills up. The numbers are not given by first come first serve. They are given by round.
- Do NOT register for sections that do NOT officially appear on WebReg. We will deregister you if you do. And you will lose consideration for SP numbers.
- Starting Monday, April 4th 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Fall or Summer 2022: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs .
- Watch for announcements below. Announcements will typically appear on Monday, with the new capacity being added that day or as directed by the announcement. Thus, you should only need to check this Web site on Mondays.
- Aside from us adding additional capacity, requests for SP numbers will be handled by course instructors closer to the beginning of the term (e.g., 2 weeks before start of semester)
- A Special Permission Number will not get you into a course you do not have a prerequisite for. For undergraduate prerequisite override contact email@example.com. In some instances, you may be directed to contact the instructor. Please follow the format on the CS advising page for prererqs. https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/academics/undergraduate/advising
- All SPN numbers will not be distributed on the same day. If your friend gets one for a different class please do not email asking why you did not receive yours.
Requirements for Undergraduates to Register for CS Graduate Courses
- A special permission number to register for a CS graduate class is given to an undergraduate student only when they satisfy the following requirements.
- The student should be a CS major. If a CS minor wants to register for a graduate class, they should have completed the CS minor requirements.
- The student's CS GPA should be equal to or greater than 3.5
- The student should have completed the CORE requirements of the CS major.
- The student should have completed at least 2 CS electives.
- The student will not be allowed to register for more than two graduate courses per term.
- An undergraduate student will be allowed to register only for courses that satisfy the breadth requirement for the PhD program.
- For undergraduates taking graduate courses, you will request an SPN through the SPN system, fill out and contact the instructor to request signature on the Undergraduate taking Graduate Course form. The instructors will not be responding until after registration has begun.
The Fall 2022 SP system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday, April 4, 2022, 10:00am
Ends: Monday May 16, 2022, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around June 9th (Delayed until June 20th at the latest)
Round 2: Begins Monday, May 16, 2022, 10:00am
Ends: approximately Wednesday June 29, 2022, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around July 29th
Round 3: Begins Wednesday, June 29, 2022, 10:00am
Ends: Thursday September 15, 2022, 9:00am
SPN distribution is open ended and by instructor and will take place until September 15, 2022. It will coincide with the last day to add**
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration
- We are having some delays in creating space for some courses. There could be a delay in the distribution of Fall 22 Round 1 SPNs until June 20th at the latest.