Remote Learning for Spring 2021
As you know, just about all Computer Science courses will be offered remotely, on-line in the Spring 2021 term. The Schedule of Classes has been fully updated to indicate exactly how each class will be organized. Look up each of your courses in the Schedule of Classes to review the Course Format, the Section Comments, and the Course Notes.
If the course format includes Days of the Week and Times, then the class meets virtually on-line and on-line attendance at those times is required. This format, sometimes referred to as SYCHRONOUS REMOTE, emulates the face-to-face classroom experience and all students will be meeting together with the instructor at the designated times. You can ignore the Campus Location, since the course is meeting remotely.
If the course format states Hours by Arrangement, then the class has no specific meeting times, rather the course site will indicate specific weekly requirements and assignment due dates. In addition, flexible opportunities to meet with TAs, instructors and classmates will be a part of these classes. This format, sometimes referred to as ASYNCHRONOUS REMOTE, provides flexibility, especially for students in other time zones, but still requires the same amount of hour per week as more traditional course formats. These courses ARE NOT self-paced; there is a weekly schedule for work submission beginning the first week of classes.
If the course format includes both a specific meeting time AND Hours by Arrangement, then the course meets virtually on-line and attendance is required at the indicated time AND contains more flexible weekly requirements. This format, sometimes referred to as HYBRID REMOTE, often allows recitations to meet virtually as a group.
Request Special Permission (SP) Numbers for Spring 2021
We are very much aware that some (eventually many) of our classes are full (and the stress that this situation creates for students). We are doing our best to get as many students in as possible. Please do NOT email instructors. Please follow the procedure below to request SP numbers for full classes:
- Please DO NOT register for a Special Permission Number before a class fills up. The numbers are not given by first come first serve. They are given by round.
- Do NOT register for sections that do NOT officially appear on WebReg. We will deregister you if you do. And you will lose consideration for SP numbers.
- Starting Monday April 20 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Fall 2020: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs . Make sure you are in Fall, not Summer.
- Watch for announcements below. Announcements will typically appear on Monday, with the new capacity being added that day or as directed by the announcement. Thus, you should only need to check this Web site on Mondays.
- Aside from us adding additional capacity, requests for SP numbers will be handled by course instructors closer to the beginning of the term (e.g., 2 weeks before start of semester)
- For Undergraduates taking Graduate courses. You will request an SPN through the SPN system, fill out and contact the instructor to request signature on the Undergraduate taking Graduate Course form. The instructors will not be responding until after registration has begun.
The Spring 2021 SP system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday, November 30, 2020, 1:00pm
Ends: Friday December 11, 2020, 9:00am
SPN distribution will take place around December 23, 2020
Round 2: Begins Friday, December 11, 2020, 10:00am
Ends: Friday January 8, 2021, 9:00am
SPN distribution will take place prior to January 15, 2021
Round 3: Begins Friday, January 8, 2020, 10:00am
Ends: Friday, January 29, 2021 12:00pm
Round 3 SPN distribution is open ended and by instructor
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration.