Request Special Permission (SP) Numbers for Summer and Fall 2023
Quick Link to SP Request System
We are very much aware that some (eventually many) of our classes are full (and the stress that this situation creates for students). We are doing our best to get as many students in as possible. Please do NOT email instructors. Please follow the procedure below to request SP numbers for full classes:
- Please DO NOT register for a Special Permission Number before a class fills up. The numbers are not given by first come first serve. They are given by round.
- Do NOT register for sections that do NOT officially appear on WebReg. We will deregister you if you do. And you will lose consideration for SP numbers.
- For Summer 2023 Starting Monday, Feb 16th 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Summer 2023: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs MAKE SURE YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR SUMMER, NOT FALL
- For Fall 2023 Starting Monday, April 17th 10:00am. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Fall 2023: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs MAKE SURE YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR FALL, NOT SUMMER.
- Watch for announcements below. Announcements will typically appear on Monday, with the new capacity being added that day or as directed by the announcement. Thus, you should only need to check this Web site on Mondays.
- Aside from us adding additional capacity, requests for SP numbers will be handled by course instructors closer to the beginning of the term (e.g., 2 weeks before start of semester)
- A Special Permission Number will not get you into a course you do not have a prerequisite for. For undergraduate prerequisite override. Please follow the format on the CS advising page for prereqs https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/academics/undergraduate/advising. In some instances, you may be directed to contact the instructor.
- All SPN numbers will not be distributed on the same day. If your friend gets one for a different class please do not email asking why you did not receive yours.
Requirements for Undergraduates to Register for CS Graduate Courses
- A special permission number to register for a CS graduate class is given to an undergraduate student only when they satisfy the following requirements.
- The student should be a CS major. If a CS minor wants to register for a graduate class, they should have completed the CS minor requirements.
- The student's CS GPA should be equal to or greater than 3.5
- The student should have completed the CORE requirements of the CS major.
- The student should have completed at least 2 CS electives.
- The student will not be allowed to register for more than two graduate courses per term.
- An undergraduate student will be allowed to register only for courses that satisfy the breadth requirement for the PhD program.
- For undergraduates taking graduate courses, you will request an SPN through the SPN system, fill out and contact the instructor to request signature on the Undergraduate taking Graduate Course form. The instructors will not be responding until after registration has begun.
The Summer 2023 SP system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday, February 12, 2023, 10:00am
Ends: Monday May 15, 2023, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around May 26, 2023
Round 2: Begins Monday, May 15, 2023, 10:00am
Ends: approximately Wednesday July 14, 2023, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around July 14th
SPN distribution is open ended and by instructor and will take place until approximately July 14th, 2023. It will coincide with the last day to add for Term II**
The Fall 2023 SP system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday ,April 17, 2023, 10:00am
Ends: Monday May 1, 2023, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around May 22, 2023
Round 2: Begins Monday, May 1, 2023, 10:00am
Ends: Wednesday July 3, 2023, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around August 1, 2023
Round 3: Begins Monday, July 3, 2023, 10:00am
Ends: approximately Wednesday September 15, 2023, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around September 15, 2023
SPN distribution is open ended and by instructor and will take place until approximately September 15, 2023. It will coincide with the last day to add**
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST DAY OF ADD/DROP TO BE GRANTED AN SPN.
IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE ONE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WEEK, ASSUME YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ONE AND REGISTER FOR YOUR BACKUP COURSE.
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration