Request Special Permission (SP) Numbers for Fall 2021
We are very much aware that some (eventually many) of our classes are full (and the stress that this situation creates for students). We are doing our best to get as many students in as possible. Please do NOT email instructors. Please follow the procedure below to request SP numbers for full classes:
- Please DO NOT register for a Special Permission Number before a class fills up. The numbers are not given by first come first serve. They are given by round.
- Do NOT register for sections that do NOT officially appear on WebReg. We will deregister you if you do. And you will lose consideration for SP numbers.
- Starting Monday April 19th 12:00pm. Use this Web app to request an SP number for a full class for Fall 2021: https://secure.sas.rutgers.edu/apps/special_permission/cs . Make sure you are in Fall, not Summer.
- Watch for announcements below. Announcements will typically appear on Monday, with the new capacity being added that day or as directed by the announcement. Thus, you should only need to check this Web site on Mondays.
- Aside from us adding additional capacity, requests for SP numbers will be handled by course instructors closer to the beginning of the term (e.g., 2 weeks before start of semester)
Requirements to Register for CS Graduate Courses
- A special permission number to register for a CS graduate class is given to an undergraduate student only when they satisfy the following requirements.
- The student should be a CS major. If a CS minor wants to register for a graduate class, they should have completed the CS minor requirements.
- The student's CS GPA should be equal to or greater than 3.5
- The student should have completed the CORE requirements of the CS major.
- The student should have completed at least 2 CS electives.
- The student will not be allowed to register for more than two graduate courses per term.
- For undergraduates taking graduate courses, you will request an SPN through the SPN system, fill out and contact the instructor to request signature on the Undergraduate taking Graduate Course form. The instructors will not be responding until after registration has begun.
The Fall 2021 SP system schedule
Round 1: Begins: Monday, April 19, 2021, 10:00am
Ends: Monday May 17, 2021, 9:00am
SPN Distribution Will Take Place Around June 4, 2021**
Round 2: Begins Monday, May 17, 2021, 10:00am
Ends: Wednesday June 30, 2021, 9:00am
SPN distribution will take place around July 23, 2021**
Round 3: Begins Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 10:00am
Ends: Approximately, Tuesday, September 14, 2021 11:30pm**
Round 3 SPN distribution is open ended and by instructor
**Dates are subject to change. If the need arises to make changes they will be highlighted in red and an announcement will be listed below. The Round 3 End date will be updated when add/drop periods are released.
- Announcements will appear here usually on a Monday as we need to pass information on to you about registration
- 6/3/2021-SPNs for 01:198:344 will be delayed until next week. We are still working on making space for all that are qualified on the list.