- Course Number: 01:198:336
- Instructor: Antonio Miranda Garcia
- Course Type: Undergraduate
- Semester 1: Fall
- Semester 2: Spring
- Semester 3: Summer
- Credits: 4
Describing and querying various forms of information such as structured data in relational databases, unstructured text (IR), semi-structured data (XML, web), deductive knowledge. Conceptual modeling and schema design. Basics of database management system services (transactions, reliability, security, optimization). Advanced topics: finding patterns in data, information mapping and integration. The course focuses on a user's perspective, rather than how one implements DBMS.
- Video Intro: https://rutgers.app.box.com/s/rdxr6vard6gao78g5vhfi0layqjrqdzd
- Instructor Profile: Miranda Garcia, Antonio
- Prerequisite Information:
01:640:152; 01:198:112; 01:198:205 or 14:332:312.
† This course is available for CS Graduate degree credit.
- A grade below a "C" in a prerequisite course will not satisfy that prerequisite requirement.
- Course Links: 01:198:112 - Data Structures, 01:198:205 - Introduction to Discrete Structures I
- This course is a Pre-requisite for the Following Courses: 01:198:431 - Software Engineering, 01:198:437 - Database Systems Implementation
- Expected Work: Homework and programming assignments; project
- Exams: Midterm exam and final exam
- Learning Goals:
Computer Science majors ...
- will be prepared to contribute to a rapidly changing field by acquiring a thorough grounding in the core principles and foundations of computer science (e.g., techniques of program design, creation, and testing; key aspects of computer hardware; algorithmic principles).
- will acquire a deeper understanding on (elective) topics of more specialized interest, and be able to critically review, assess, and communicate current developments in the field.
- will be prepared for the next step in their careers, for example, by having done a research project (for those headed to graduate school), a programming project (for those going into the software industry), or some sort of business plan (for those going into startups).