- Course Number: 01:198:211
- Instructor: Yipeng Huang, David Menendez
- Course Type: Undergraduate
- Semester 1: Fall
- Semester 2: Spring
- Semester 3: Summer
- Credits: 4
This course covers the fundamental issues in the design of modern computer systems, including the design and implementation of key hardware components such as the processor, memory, and I/O devices, and the software/hardware interface.
- Syllabus: https://yipenghuang.com/teaching/2021-spring/
- Instructor Profile: Huang, Yipeng, Menendez, David
- Prerequisite Information:
- A grade below a "C" in a prerequisite course will not satisfy that prerequisite requirement.
- Course Links: 01:198:112 - Data Structures
- This course is a Pre-requisite for the Following Courses: 01:198:214 - Systems Programming, 01:198:314 - Principles of Programming Languages, 01:198:352 - Internet Technology, 01:198:411 - Computer Architecture II, 01:198:415 - Compilers, 16:198:519 - Operating System Theory
C programmingData representation and computer arithmeticAssembly language programmingBoolean algebraBasic digital logic designProcessor designCache designMain memory design
- Expected Work: 3-4 programming assignments, homework assignments, and class participation.
- Exams: 1-2 midterm exams and a final exam.
- Learning Goals:
Computer Science majors ...
- will be prepared to contribute to a rapidly changing field by acquiring a thorough grounding in the core principles and foundations of computer science (e.g., techniques of program design, creation, and testing; key aspects of computer hardware; algorithmic principles).
- will acquire a deeper understanding on (elective) topics of more specialized interest, and be able to critically review, assess, and communicate current developments in the field.
- will be prepared for the next step in their careers, for example, by having done a research project (for those headed to graduate school), a programming project (for those going into the software industry), or some sort of business plan (for those going into startups).