- Course Number: 01:198:111
- Instructor: Ana Paula Centeno
- Course Type: Undergraduate
- Semester 1: Fall
- Semester 2: Spring
- Semester 3: Summer
- SAS Core Curriculum Fulfillment: QQ, QR, ITR
- Credits: 4
Intensive introduction to computer science. Problem solving through decomposition. Writing, debugging, and analyzing programs in Java. Algorithms for sorting and searching. Introduction to data structures, recursion.
- Syllabus: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRj6-NoQQJFxNWsS-tM4tkjaEBVZKctdTwmPRJvSS_32lrQXMmPt62yQfQJR-z-aziZ9nZVXTF9vM8t/pub
- Instructor Profile: Centeno, Ana Paula
- Prerequisite Information:
- A grade below a "C" in a prerequisite course will not satisfy that prerequisite requirement.
- This course is a Pre-requisite for the Following Courses: 01:198:112 - Data Structures, 01:198:205 - Introduction to Discrete Structures I
Programming process: problem analysis, program design, algorithm construction, coding, testing/debugging.
Object-oriented programming using the Java language.
Test case construction, driver development.
Introduction to data structures (arrays, linked lists).
Efficiency analysis (algorithm complexity).
Inheritance and polymorphism.
- Expected Work: 12 weekly programming assignments.Weekly lab exercises in recitation.
- Exams: 4 programming exams (given on weekends), 1 written final exam
Computer Science majors ...
- will be prepared to contribute to a rapidly changing field by acquiring a thorough grounding in the core principles and foundations of computer science (e.g., techniques of program design, creation, and testing; key aspects of computer hardware; algorithmic principles).
- will acquire a deeper understanding on (elective) topics of more specialized interest, and be able to critically review, assess, and communicate current developments in the field.
- will be prepared for the next step in their careers, for example, by having done a research project (for those headed to graduate school), a programming project (for those going into the software industry), or some sort of business plan (for those going into startups).