I encourage you to refrain from distributing this letter through e-mail.
In many public and private facilities this is considered wasteful useage.
I display it here as a humorous diversion from your work or school day.
- Dear Fellow Scientist:
- This letter has been around the world at least seven times. It has been to many
- major conferences. Now it has come to you. It will bring you good fortune.
- This is true even if you don't believe it. But you must follow these instructions:
- - include in your next journal article the citations below.
- - remove the first citation from the list and add a citation to your journal
- article at the bottom.
- - make ten copies and send them to colleagues.
- Within one year, you will be cited up to 10,000 times! This will amaze your
- fellow faculty, assure your promotion and improve your sex life. In addition,
- you will bring joy to many colleagues. Do not break the reference loop, but
- send this letter on today.
- Dr. H. received this letter and within a year after passing it on she was elected
- to the National Academy of Sciences. Prof. M. threw this letter away and was
- denied tenure. In Japan, Dr. I. received this letter and put it aside. His article for
- Trans. on Nephrology was rejected. He found the letter and passed it on, and
- his article was published that year in the New England Journal of Medicine.
- In the Midwest, Prof. K. failed to pass on the letter, and in a budget cutback
- his entire department was eliminated. This could happen to you if you break
- the chain of citations.
- 1. Miller, J. (1992).
- Post-modern neo-cubism and the wave theory of light.
- Journal of Cognitive Artifacts, 8, 113-117.
- 2. Johnson, S. (1991).
- Micturition in the canid family: the irresistable pull of the hydrant.
- Physics Quarterly, 33, 203-220.
- 3. Anderson, R. (1990).
- Your place or mine?: an empirical comparison of human mating behavior.
- Psychology Yesterday, 12, 63-77.
- 4. David, E. (1994).
- Modern Approaches to Chaotic Heuristic Optimization: Means of Analyzing
- Non-Linear Intelligent Networks with Emergent Symbolic Structure.
- (doctoral dissertation, University of California at Santa Royale El Camino
- del Rey Mar Vista by-the-sea).
- 5. Magnusson, A. (1728).
- On Deconstructing Medieval Manuscripts: Towards a New Methodology.
- Pyromania Studies Today 7, 5-136.