My dad is so proud of me that he's put together these pages to show me
off to his friends.
What's new with us! (12/29/02)
Maxisms and Mollyisms (reverse order):
- [12/02] Max: "Before remote controls were invented, how did
people change the channel on their TV?"
- [11/02] Max asked me (Michael) if I could help teach him to
program computers. He said he wanted to help me make
computers that can have conversations. I was really touched.
- Jenn's transcription of Molly's rendition of Ring Around The
Rosy: "Ring around the rosy. Pocka Bulla Fozie..."
- Molly to Jenn: "Aunt Jenn, remember when you were
wearing a purple dress and I was wearing a purple
dress too?" (They had both worn purple dresses the night
- [10/02] Max: "Mommy said that when I get up to 60 pounds I don't
have to try new foods."
- Max helping Molly bathe: "Molly, now wash your pe..." Molly:
"You said penis!" Max: "Wash your, your, the place that you
tinkle out of." Molly, pointing: "This?" Max: "Yeah."
- Molly used "bed case" to refer to a sheet. Must be with analogy to
"pillow case"! By the way, she also changed her own sheet,
leaving me to grill Lisa about why she switched away from
fitted sheets for the kids. Lisa: "It wasn't me."
- [8/02] Molly after a failed attempt at using the potty: "It was
silent and invisible."
- [7/02] Molly: "Look, I have a hairy vagina or whatever."
- Molly: "What if an actor was called a snactor? Then he'd eat
snacks all day! (First well formed joke.) She followed it up
with "What did the elephant say to the theater? I'm cold,
let me out."
- [6/02] My sister has a cat, who hisses at the kids when we
visit. She was pregnant and we were calling the baby-to-be
Julio. One day, Molly asked Jill very seriously, "Will Julio
hiss at me?"
- Molly had a very disturbing dream in which Lisa died. When she
woke up, she was crying. She explained this was because she
was so relieved that it was only a dream! We spent the next
few days asking her about details in the dream. Molly asked
Lisa why she did something in the dream and Lisa said she
didn't know. This made no sense to Molly, "But you were in my
- [5/02] Max's list of words that include the short o sound:
octopus, on to, dog, tons, optoculeloosuns (optical
- From Jenn: When we got back to the house and we were playing
with Zoe (Grandma's new dog) she started asking about Shannah
(Grandma's old dog, long since deceased). ("But what about the
little brown one?"). She was saying that she wished Shannah
was still here so she could meet her. When I said that I
missed Shannah, she put her little hand on my shoulder and
said, "I miss her too".
- Molly was getting ready to take a big bite of a slice of pizza:
"I am good to my family, but I am bad to the pizza."
- Molly couldn't see her new toy lion. She said it was
- [4/02] Molly gets an oragami bird and accidently unfolds it: "It
used to be in good shape and then it turned into bad shape."
- Molly looking at a picture
of herself from Justin Boyan's wedding. We asked her, "Are you
dancing?". Molly: "I'm laying on Mommy. Because it's too
comfortable to dance."
- [3/02] Molly on Michael's back, "You're a cow and I'm riding
you." Michael: "Who rides on cows?" Molly: Cowgirls and
- Max is playing a game to get his friend to answer "Great White
Shark" using asking yes or no questions. Harry: "Is it
digestible?" Max: "Well, you really wouldn't want to eat it
but yeah, it would be digestible." Harry: "Is it the Loch Ness
monster?" Max: "You can't digest a legend."
- From Jenn: By the way, I told a couple people at work about the
Peter and The Wolf comment she made ("Is Peter saying , 'Do
you want a piece of me??'"), and they laughed really hard.
She's a funny girl!!
- From Lisa: I was shopping at Costco with Molly and looking at
someone demonstrating a product that cleans wood. She turned
to me and said, "It also takes crayon off of walls." Lisa:
"How did you know I had crayon on my walls?" Molly: "It was
an accident, I was trying to color on paper!"
- Molly: "I want to go to the restaurant and eat what all the
humans are eating."
- From Lisa: Molly was going to take me out for a birthday latte
but we didn't get around to it.
- From Lisa: Molly has an imaginary friend, Mary, who is her sister
(younger) and sometimes a lamb.
- Michael kisses Lisa. Molly cuts in to say, "But I love you, too."
and kisses Lisa. Then she kisses Lisa and then Michael. To
Lisa: "That was a birthday kiss." To MichaelL "and that was a
- [2/02] Lisa: "Why don't you think you're my doll?" Molly: "cause
I'm a vumin (woman)".
- Max: "I feel sluggish, how about you?" (In Zaboomafoo, there is a
segment where the lemur acts like the animal of the day
"lemurish", "bearish", ...)
- Michael: "What's that Molly?" Molly: "A hoppopitamus."
- This morning Molly saw an ad for a cat playground. Here's what
she said, "Look, I will buy this for Petey and Petey will say
meow because he likes his present." Lisa: "What does Petey
usually say?" Molly: "Petey hisses and growls." Lisa: "Why
do you think he does that?" Molly: "Because he loves me and
- Molly: "His weesh is swippewy" (having trouble keeping her pet
dog in tow).
- Lisa: "Leave Daddy be, he needs to leave." Molly: "Is he going
- Max and Molly just pretended that Molly has twins. They stripped
two dolls, put them under Molly's shirt and Max told her to
lie down and he pulled them out one at a time. They then
argued because Max is telling Molly that they are not big
enough to go home with her!
- adult: "Molly, is that too much corn?" Molly: "I like too much."
- Molly: "I want to sit closer to my friend Max." adult: "Oh, is
Max your friend?" Molly: "Actually, he's my brother."
- adult: "ABCDEFG, now I know my ABCs. Molly, can I help you learn
it?" Molly: "I'll learn it myself!"
- adult: "Do you want help with the zipper?" Molly: "I don't need
help from nobody."
- Molly saw the movie "Shrek" and exclaimed, "Fiona turned into a
- Molly about Zoe: "I wove dat widdoo fwuffbah!" (I love that little
- Molly: "Can I have some juice, 'cause water drips."
- Molly: "The chalk board pretended to be a tv." (something like
- Molly: "Christmas tree, smell my feet, give me something good to
- Molly: "Quack it Daddy!" (She uses "talk", "quack", "dance" and
words like that as commands: "X it" means "make it X".)
- Molly, banging a tupperware container of pineapple against the
table while standing on Max's chair, to try to open
child-proof locks: "It's hard, Mommy."
- Molly utterances: "m-t m-t m, apple." "Follow me, Daddy." (takes
hand) "Dat Max's homework." "Ook, Mommy." (Look, Mommy.)
"baley kangaroo" "hold me" "Dat Mommy's coffee"
- At 21 months, Molly used a 7-word sentence: "Look at da Mommy
holding da baby."
- Mommy: "I love my boy---who's my boy?" Molly: "Max" Lisa: "I love
my girl---who's my girl?" Molly: "Molly" Daddy: "I love my
girl and my boy." Molly: "How about Mommy?"
- More things Molly said: "Apicots, mmm dood, Daddy." "I did it."
"It's mine, let go. My diaper!" "I heard it. Daddy
telephone." "Grandma, right."
- Molly recognizes YMCA logo: "tids, doll-dolls".
- Molly: "Molly like hoda." Lisa: "Molly doesn't drink soda. What
does Molly drink?" Molly: "Milk, hot cocoa."
- Molly: "Sylbester a kitty cat. Tweety bird a bird. Mickey mouse
on 'puter" "Hmmm, let's see..." "I'm a puppy dog." "I'm a baby."
(when wants to be held) "Look at dat! A cup a water. I
'pilled it!" "click on de mouse" "click on de tweety bird"
Dollhouse play: "Mommy gets in car goes to bym with
babies. Daddy gets pizza. Mommy makes supper, which is cake."
- Molly asks stuffed animals to talk about apple picking.
- 4.5 mo. walking [I don't know what this means. -ed] 21 mo. full
sentences, vocabulary difficult to count (>= 10 Pokemon,
>= 16 body parts named from counting...) "Why Fran fall in
water?" "Look a mommy holding a baby." Tries to do somersault.
Pulls thing she wants back "let go"! Uses fork and spoon (not
well). Begin learning ABC song and colors. Counts 1 2 3 5 6
9 10 13 16.
- Me to Max "Play with one kid at a time at recess, if more than one is
too hard for you." Max: "So that's why you have people come
over for playdates---to help me work on my social skills."
- Molly: "I dus tidding."
- Michael: "What does football have to do with the Super Bowl?"
Max: "It's bowling."
- Molly coming home from gym (23 months). Lisa: "How was the gym?"
Molly: "I was angry, Mommy." Lisa: "You were angry?" Molly:
"Yes." Lisa: "Why were you angry?" Molly: "Little dirl."
Lisa: "What did the little girl do?" Molly: "Play telephone."
L: "Hmmm, did you want to play with the telephone?" Molly:
"Yes." Lisa: "Did you use your words? What did you say?"
Molly: "I say I sorry to little dirl." Lisa: "What were you
sorry about?" Molly: "I cry at little dirl. I angy and I
cried. I was angry in the stroller."
- I call her "Molly moo" sometimes. Molly: "Hey Daddy moo."
(laughs) "I call you daddy moo."
- Molly typing: "mmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy".
- Molly's initial glotals become dentals: "doogoo daga", "tookie"
- Lisa: "Ballerinas don't drink from bottles." Molly: "But, I do."
- Molly: "I need tylenol, my teeth hurt."
- [5/00] Molly: "Are you talking about me guys? Are you talking
about my friend?" (Max). "pause" (because) "1 2 3 6 5 4, that
spells Mommy". "Plants are crying for their Mommy plants" (she
put 12" stringbean plant on top of little tomato plants).
- Molly stalling: "Can I have a monkey?".
- Molly repeatedly hits max so we go through an apologize cycle.
- Molly (to Lisa): "Why did the man talk to you?" "Mommy, you look
beautiful, Daddy looks handsome." "Whatcha watchin' duys?"
(comes out of her room when we're watching TV).
- Molly: "mary poppins seed", "grammy cracker".
- Max's insight. After a particularly rough day in which Max and
Molly wore us down by
whining and asking for stuff all day and receiving lecture
after lecture explaining why this is not the right way to
behave, Max was having some quiet reading time. When it was
time for bed, Max brought out the book he was reading about
becoming a big brother and presented it to Lisa to read to
herself and to follow the instructions. He indicated the
section "Note to parents". When we asked him why she should
read it, he said, "It says that it is natural for a big
brother to be demanding." We lost it, of course. Time to
start saving for Harvard Law School.
- [11/00] Some Molly words "cough suppressant", "favorite character",
- Name: Max Isaac L.
- Born: July 29th, 1994 (5:03pm) by C-section
- Birth weight: 470g (1 lb, 1/2 oz).
- Proud parents: Lisa and Michael
- First web page: September 1st, 1994
- Weight at that time: 650g (1 lb, 7 oz)
- Discharge date: October 24th, 1994
- Days in hospital: 88
- Discharged: October 24th, 1994 (4:30pm) by car
- Original due date: October 25th, 1994
- Discharge weight: 1830g (4 lb, 1/2 oz)
Photo Album (mainly 1994)
While I was in the nursery, my mom told me a story. My dad
illustrated it, and finally made a copy for the web. Here is Max's Special Beginning.
My dad kept track of my vocabulary (up to the
first 200 words) and is tracking my major milestones.
- Maintained by:
- Last updated: Fri Jan 17 11:25:58 EST 1997