by Hanz Makmur - Sept 1, 2016
- WebMail Interface
The easiest way to access your email is to use supported web browsers by connecting to Outlook Web Access (OWA). To read your email, simply open location below.
- Using Email Client on desktop/portable computer.
Another way to access your email is to use email client like Outlook, Thunderbird, AppleMail, etc on your desktop computer and using your portable devices like tablets and smart phones. Rutgers Connect support IMAP and Exchange based clients and you need to configure your devices properly before you can read your email.
The recomended client for full compatibility to Office 365 is to use Microsoft Outlook client. However since Outlook is not available on every email client, alternatively, you can use IMAP protocol to read your email. Please be aware that Offline Archive wont be accessible via IMAP.
A. Using IMAP Based Mail Client
IMAP protocol is standard way of reading email on basic email client. This protocol is available for most users except for people who have access to Health data and should be using Exchange protocol described in other methods below. To read your email on Rutgers Connect, you need to set your email client's incoming and outgoing server settings as follow:
Incoming Mail Server:
IMAP Server: outlook.office365.com
Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS
Outgoing Mail Server
SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com
Encryption: SSL (AppleMail) or STARTTLS (Thunderbird)
Note: Rutgers Connect does not support calendar standard (CalDAV). Calendar feature only works with Email clients that support MS Exchange protocol or the Webmail interface. If you have older version of Thunderbird, you may need to upgrade it. MS365 requires more secure authentication that the older version does not support.
B. Using Exchange based Mail Client.
Exchange protocol is the prefered method to accessed Microsoft Office365 if you have email client that support this protocol. Follow instruction listed in the Other Methods below.
- Setting up Compliant Mobile Devices fo Rutgers Connect
Despite the fact that it is possible to follow the IMAP Based Mail client settings table above to reconfigure your mobile devices to work with Rutgers Connect, you should be aware that for security reasons, University Acceptable Use policies require that all mobile devices are to be enrolled in Mobile Device Management (MDM) for all Rutgers staff and faculty. Follow Mobile Device Management Policy website to setup your mobile devices.
Note: If you set your mobile devices to use IMAP settings above without enrolling in MDM, you are non compliant with University Acceptable Use policy.
Tips: When Synching email with your mobile devices, make sure that the Mail Days to Sync or Period to sync email, calendar setting is set to the number of days you want to see. By default, it is set to sync only a few days of email which means you will not be able to see email older that that set limit
- On Apple iOS devices, this setting is at:
[Settings] ➧ [Mail,Contacts,Calendars] ➧ [MS365] ➧ [Mail Days to Sync]
- On Adroid devices, this setting varies by version/make/model of your device:
[Settings] ➧ [Accounts and sync] ➧ [your_email_address ➧ [Server settings] ➧ [Period to synch email, calendar]
- Accessing Special Shared Accounts
For those who have access to special Shared Accounts, to access email for these Shared Accounts, new configuration needs to be added your email client for each Shared Account.
Follow step by step guide below,
- How to View a Shared Mail Folder via WebMail aka Outlook Web Access (OWA)
Summary: On Connect Webmail, right click on your Full Name, choose add shared folder and enter the name of the folder as is. Example: email@example.com
- Accessing shared accounts in Thunderbird [*]
- Accessing shared accounts in Mac Mail [*]
[*] Don't forget for each Shared Account setting in your mail client, you need to prepend 'cs-' on its name. Example for a resource named: "firstname.lastname@example.org", it needs to be called as "cs-cs111".
For Incoming Server (IMAP), you will need to enter your username as: email@example.com\cs-cs111.
For Outgoing Server(SMTP), you will need to enter your username as: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using Other Methods and Steps by Steps guide.
A full step by step guide on how to set your email client settings for Rutgers Connect is available below from OIT/SAS-IT.
- Generic IMAP Settings For Rutgers Connect - No Calendar support
- Thunderbird (Windows and Mac) - No Calendar support
- Apple Mail via Exchange
- Outlook 2016 for PC via Exchange
- Outlook 2016 for Mac via Exchange
- Sending Email from an Alternate Email Address
- Configuring SendAs on Mobile Device
- Alpine - No Calendar support
- More Guides and Documentations
- Configuring Thunderbird for Office 365 with Exchange Calendar Add-On - from Georgia Tech
For those who want to learn about the new Rutgers Connect system:
- Complete info about Rutgers Connect available online.
- Webminar sessions on OneDrive, Skype, Office 365 & Email and Calendar
- Self-paced Courses you can walk yourself through.
- Rutgers Connect Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ) is also available.
- Office 2016 Training from Microsoft
- Office Quick Start Guides from Microsoft Self Training - YouTube Videos
- Create an Email Signature in Office 365
- Send an Email Message - Office 365 Outlook Web App - Email
- Folders - Office 365 Outlook Web App - Email
- Create and Edit Contacts - Office 365 Outlook Web App - Email
- Office 365: Calendar - Views
- Overview of the New Office 365
- Office 365: End-User Training
- Office 365 Sharing and Collaboration (Webinar)
- De-clutter your inbox in Office 365
- How to recover deleted email in Outlook Web App 2016
- What is Office 365