DATE: Friday, May 12th, 2017
Location: Rutgers, Busch Campus, room TBA
Time: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Please register here (free) so that we can better organize the day.
Proposed Summit Agenda (Subject to change)
8:00am - 8:30am: Continental Breakfast
8:30am - 8:45am: Welcome and Brief Introductions
8:45am - 10:15am (90 minutes):
- State of our State
- An update and current status of K-12 CS in NJ and the current state-wide K-12 initiatives
- First Course for Majors
- Panel (4 members): CS @ 4 yr and, 2 yr institutions, and AP programs in our local area
- A panel of representatives from local 1 College, 1 University, 1 Community College, and 1 HS will compare and contrast their curricula.
10:15am - 10:30am break
10:30am - 12:00 pm Breakout Sessions: See below for descriptions.
- 10:30 - 11:15
- 11:20- 12:05
12:05 pm - 1:00 pm: Lunch with groups brainstorming on suggested topics.
1:00pm - 1:45pm: Flash Talks and Q&A on AP CS Principles Curriculum (9-12, post-secondary level) There are many College Board Endorsed curricula for AP CS Principles. Participants in this session will present a 5-minute overview of a curriculum they use (or have created themselves). This "flash talk" will be followed by Q&A from summit attendees.
1:45pm - 2:30pm:
- Gender and Ethnic Diversity
- Code.org State of other States
- Panel: Industry Partners - Who are we hiring, and why?
2:30pm - 2:45pm Break
2:45pm - 3:30pm Breakout Sessions: See below for descriptions.
3:30pm - 4:30pm:
- Next Steps
- Bringing it all together
- Next year
Breakout topics for the three sessions.
- CS1/AP CS A: What gets credit? Does AP CSA prepare students for CS2?
- AP CS Principles: Follow-up on Flash Talks. What gets credit at colleges? How to go about getting your university to give credit.
- Information for and discussions among school administrators: How to start a CS program at your school
- CS Teaching Endorsements: what do colleges have to know and do?
- Grant writing/funding for educational research: Where to start, opportunities available, involvement of K-12 CS
- Curriculum resources, available technology, and tools for CS:
- post secondary