This course is intended to lead into research in the areas of distributed systems and software engineering. The seminar deals with various issues concerning the design, construction and evolution of large scale software systems, covering both sequential as well as distributed and parallel systems. Among the issues to be discussed are:
* Modern programming paradigms, especially Object-Oriented Programming.
* Programming Environments.
* The (locally developed) concept of Law-Governed architectures.
* Open distributed systems.
* Various topics in operating systems.
Other topics may be included, depending on the interest of the participants. The seminar will include talks by the instructor, by several guests and by the students.